Monday, October 1, 2012

Revelation curiosities


Although I have read the Bible on and off since I was a boy, I have not read the entire book from beginning to end. Over the past twenty years, however, I have read much of the New Testament. Only recently did I decide to read that most forbidding of N.T. books, Revelation.

 

I notice there are some odd things about Revelation.

 

Mixed metaphors and non sequiturs:

 

“7:14 …They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”

 

This is not earthly blood, for sure.

 

“7:17 For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,…”

 

The lamb is also the shepherd?

 

Also, the twenty-four elders are on their thrones, but every time the Four creatures give glory and honor to God, which they do without ceasing, the elders fall down and worship; the elders must spend so little time sitting on their thrones that one wonders how the visionary saw that they ever sat there.

1 comment:

  1. Gregory of Nazianzus (ca. 329-389) famously pointed up the paradox of Christ as both lamb and shepherd as one of many paradoxes due to his nature as both man and God.

    ReplyDelete