Monday, October 3, 2016

That Was Then, But This Guy Doesn't Know How

Gary Johnson, Libertarian candidate for president, was recently embarrassed when asked who his favorite living world leader is. He had trouble thinking of one. When I first saw that, I thought, "How appropriate it would be for a libertarian to say, 'I can't think of any because there are none.'" He didn't say that. He let the interviewer have it his way. (Indeed, Chris Matthews actually told Johnson that he MUST answer the question!) 

How different it was in 1972 when the first Libertarian presidential candidate, John Hospers, was asked by a reporter, "If elected, what will you do for me?" 

Hospers replied, "I'll leave you alone." 

Talk about Staying on Message. A concept I do not think Johnson quite gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment